Marco Lancini's README
This page (based on a GitLab template) is intended to help others understand what it might be like to work with me, especially people who haven’t worked with me before.
I was born and raised in Italy, but I’m naturalized British. As a result, you will find a mix of both cultures in my work/communication style (more on this below).
For a professional bio, please refer to the About Me page of my personal website.
Communicating with me
- I do prefer asynchronous, written communication.
- As a result, the best way to reach out to me is via email or Slack.
- Phone calls are my least favourite medium. Please use them only for emergencies.
- I communicate assuming others have low context. I appreciate the same when working with me.
- I have a very direct communication style, which sometimes can be misinterpreted as me being upset. If you encounter that, please ask whether that is the case.
- I’m based in the UK, so my regular working hours are
9 am - 6 pmGMT/BST.
- I will be respectful of your time, and in return, please be respectful of my time. For example, if you requested a meeting with me, please:
- Provide an agenda.
- Pre-fill the meeting minutes with the main topics from the agenda.
- Provide any pre-reading material.
- Be on time.
My working style
- I consider myself a Strategist: I like to see the big picture and develop long-term plans to solve problems innovatively.
- I’m analytical, logical, goal-oriented, success-driven, and ambitious.
- I highly value attention to detail. As a consequence, I’m highly organized and systematic in my work.
- I’ve been told I have very high standards for myself and my collaborators.
- I like to give (and receive) direct feedback.
- Due to my background, I tend to praise sparingly, but this doesn’t mean I don’t value your work.
- I teach using the Socratic method, based on asking questions. It might be frustrating if you are not used to this, but it yields better results than me directly providing the answers outright.